Sunday, July 03, 2005

I stubbed my toe carrying my cross...

So yeah, as Dave said, this place is for us to kind of reflect on and vent about our life experiences. Sometimes it can be tough to live our lives, especially when our lives are dedicated to a cause, a standard, that bucks against the world's system.

There's an old song by on-hiatus-please-get-back-together-soon band, DC Talk, called "What If I Stumble?" which laments about our too oft-times inability to live our faith the way we should. So many people watch us, and when we fall, it isn't just us individually that gets taken down, but too often those who watch trip up as well.

The song opens with a soundbyte from a preacher saying, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge He is with their lips, and walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

Dave's a highschool guy, kind of on the popular end because of his dynamic and extroverted personality. Problem is, that gets him noticed. On a good day, that's a great opportunity to shine God's light to others. On a bad day, it can be like dominoes toppling!

For myself, I'm a youth minister at a Catholic Church! On a good day, I'm responsible for the education and direction of the spiritual lives of teenagers like Dave (though not Dave directly anymore...). It's an awesome opportunity to see God grow and stretch these guys! On a bad day, I can fall, and fail, and get totally discouraged as I watch kids lose interest and walk away. On top of that, I have the added pressure of getting married this fall, as well as just the masochistic desire to go out defending the faith on the internet in my spare time! More often than not I get frustrated by the overwhelming stupidity that is the misrepresentation of Christians and their beliefs!

So here is our haven for letting it all out. Along the way, hopefully we'll be able to encourage, enlighten, or at least comfort you with the knowledge that you aren't unique in stubbing your toes as you carry your crosses and follow Christ.

God bless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home